Saturday, July 28, 2018

Recipe: Parmesan/Mayonnaise Baking Sauce

You've probably read a version of this recipe on the back of a commercial mayonnaise jar. The recipe calls for using it on---- horror of horrors--- boneless, skinless chicken breasts. One online version of this recipe recommended low-fat 'mayonnaise.' None of that here!

I bought some good grated parmesan on my last grocery run into Menominee, MI. I thought it would be better than that common kind of parmesan that seems to have eternal life in my fridge.

I wanted to upgrade the mayonnaise ingredient as well. My store bought mayonnaise contains soybean oil, and we don't want any soybean products around here. Except for soy sauce, of course.

So I made 'baconnaise', from The Ketogenic Cookbook by Jimmy Moore and Maria Emmerich. I also glanced at mayonnaise recipes by Dana Carpender from 200 Low-Carb High Fat Recipes and Fat Fast Cookbook. Maria Emmerich's recipe was the simplest--- unlike her usual recipes--- and it called for 1 cup of bacon fat, which was just the amount I had in the freezer. I made the 'baconnaise' with a stick blender right in the 1 pint wide-mouth canning jar I'm storing it in.

Parmesan/Mayonnaise Baking Sauce

1/2 cup (125 milliliters) good mayonnaise. Home-made is best. DON'T use Miracle Whip or lowfat 'Mayo.'
1/4 cup (75 milliliters) good Parmesan cheese.
1 tsp. (5 milliliters) sea salt or Herbamare salt
dash pepper
1/2 tsp (2.5 milliliters) herb or spice that goes well with the meat or vegetable you will be using the sauce on. (Optional)


Mix ingredients together in a dish or small canning jar. It mixes quickly, so you won't need to break out the stick blender.

TO USE:

On chicken: Coat the chicken with it, and bake at 350 F (180 C) for 45 min. to an hour. The coating should be well-browned.

On frozen fish: Coat the fish with it, and bake it at 375 F (190 C) for 8-12 minutes.
On frozen cooked shrimp: Coat the shrimp with it, and bake at 350 F (180 C) for about 10 minutes.

You may also use it as a condiment on any meat or vegetable you like. It will add fats to your meal--- important if you are eating lower-fat chicken or fish.

FOR LOW INCOME KETONIANS: Yes, you can make it with ordinary (not low fat) mayonnaise and ordinary Parmesan from a low price store or from your local food bank. It's not the best, but when there is no better available it's certainly better than most low-income food alternatives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the cookbook from which I got my 'baconnaise' recipe. I highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.