Thursday, July 5, 2018

Keto success means tracking your weight

In reading a book on another topic altogether, I learned it's hard to improve your habits if you don't track things. When it comes to healthy keto eating, weight is an important thing to track. Not the ONLY thing, though.

Since I'm on keto for weight loss as well as for diabetes control and treating my autism spectrum disorder, I like to track my weight daily. Not that I need to know every day. But when I plan on doing it once a week, it ends up being more like once every three months.

My old bathroom scale was a disaster for that. I kept it in the living room (bad move) because the light in my closet where I used to keep it doesn't work any more, and I was sick of needing a flashlight to weigh myself. But in the living room location the scale became a cat toy. A usually-dirty cat toy.

So I recently decided to buy myself a smarter scale--- one that syncs with my smart phone and one that also measures other stats like BMI and body fat percentage. My choice was the Etekcity Smart Fitness Scale model ESF17(This is my affliate link.)

You have to download an app to your smartphone, so this isn't a great choice if you don't own a smartphone. But it works on my cheap smartphone.

You have to bring your smartphone in with you when you weigh yourself each time. But that's a good thing. And even though the scale is in the unlighted closet, I don't need to use the flashlight since the scale's weight number shows up on my phone.

The scale is good for those on a budget since the price is $39. I imagine I'd have to pay about as much for an old-fashioned scale.

And one big help is that if you don't have the habit of writing down your weight every time, the scale's app tracks your numbers for you, and you can see your old numbers on a graph to see if you are making progress or the opposite.

Important: Keto (and fasting) isn't all about your weight numbers! Steadily improving your health is more important than quick weight loss. If you have gone from scary-bad blood sugar numbers to near-normal ones like I have, you know that there are benefits to keto and fasting that have nothing to do with anything a smart scale measures.

But in our weight-obsessed society, losing weight if you are 'overweight' is vitally important to your self-esteem. Tracking weight will help you fine-tune your keto. If a keto practice or food makes you gain or lose weight, you will know. And knowing what's going on is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.