Friday, July 27, 2018

Using keto/lowcarb podcasts daily to stay motivated

This is how it happens with me: I get started on my keto/low-carb diet, at first I am mildly obsessed with it, always reading my diet books and looking for new recipes to try.

And then I stop being so obsessed, don't think about food or my diet much, don't daily record my blood sugar, weight, and blood pressure numbers, and before you know it, I pick up a candy bar or bag of chips on my next trip to the Family Dollar store to buy cat food. Eating the carbs gets me to crave more carbs, and so before you know it I'm making a daily snack run, buying more than one candy bar or bag of chips, or having carb-laden restaurant meals with my mother....

Because of my diabetes and related kidney disease, I can't live like that anymore. It would just make my life miserable and short. So: I have to stay a little obsessed with the keto way of life in order to stay motivated.

My method: podcasts. Specifically the Jimmy Moore family of podcasts. You can find links to these podcasts in the sidebar on the right--- scroll down.

I usually download a podcast 5 days a week. I put the audio files on a Sansa Clip mp3 player, which clips to my shirt so I can listen while doing things like exercising, folding clothes, hauling manure from the barn, moving chicken pens, or herding sheep. People who commute to work can listen while commuting, I'd imagine. Jimmy Moore, the 'LL Cool J' of podcasting, or so some guy on his podcast says, does 5 podcasts a week. All of his old podcasts are still available, but I listen to the best and most informative podcasts more than once.

There are other keto podcasts out there, but what I like about Jimmy Moore is that he so often has medical doctors as guests or co-hosts of his podcasts. He often talks about medical research studies that have come out. It makes me feel like I am on the keto cutting edge--- a different feeling than when I was doing Original Atkins based on a decades-old second-hand book.

Before I became aware of the podcasts, I used diet books for the same purpose. I would daily read a little from the original Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution or more modern books, up to Keto Clarity and The Complete Guide to Fasting.

This concept is not original to me. I've read that members of Alcoholics Anonymous often make a habit of reading daily from their Blue Book to keep on track. And Christians often do daily Bible reading, or watch the daily Mass on EWTN television. It's a way to keep in touch with what is important to you.

What about you? Do you listen to keto or low-carb podcasts? Which ones are your favorites? If you share your favorite podcasts in a comment, I will listen to them and possibly add them to my list in the sidebar. Do you have any other daily methods to keep you motivated? Let me know in a comment! (You may notice I'm a little obsessed with comments today. Haven't had one on this blog in a while.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you have questions--- for me or for other folks on keto/intermittent fasting? Join my new Facebook group, KetoNissa's Ketogenic and Fasting group, right here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/583596832037760/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And now, the advertising. Sorry, it's annoying to some, but I'm on disability and my house needs some repairs, so any little bit helps.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.