Saturday, September 30, 2017

Making Atkins Diet Revolution Rolls in a Muffin Top Pan

One of the earliest bread-substitutes low-carbers have used is what Dr. Robert Atkins called "Diet Revolution Rolls." The recipe is actually older than that. It's also in the Settlement Cook Book as 'Diabetic Bread.' That book dates from about the 1940s.

The secret of making it is to use a muffin top pan to make it. A picture of one of mine is illustrated. I have two like this one.

This is a Yorkshire pudding pan. It is pretty much interchangeable with a muffin top pan. They are available in different sizes.

Diet Revolution Rolls

3 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons of cottage cheese
1 package of sugar-free, carb-free sweetener (VERY optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Separate eggs. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Mix other ingredients with yolks. Carefully fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.

Spray your muffin top pan(s) with olive oil pan spray. Put about 1/2 teaspoon of a good oil (olive oil or MCT oil) into each depression in the pan. Fill each pan with equal amount of batter. Bake for about an hour.

from Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution page 225
Carbs per serving (6 per recipe) .5
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Separating Eggs

I'm old enough to remember when women learned to separate eggs as a basic kitchen skill. NOT ONE SPECK of the yolk can get in to your whites. I usually separate eggs by using the eggshell of the eggs, but using an egg separator is better. My mom got her egg separator from some business that was giving them away, with the business's ad printed on it, but they don't do that these days. I bought one at a store somewhere. Here is what mine looks like:



You have to beat the egg white for minutes, not seconds. If you don't have one of those expensive stand mixers, your arm will get tired. I use a regular electric mixer. I guess you could beat the eggs by hand with a whisk if you are very healthy and can't compel your husband or kids to do it for you. ;)

There are loads of YouTube videos that show you how to make Atkins Diet Revolution Rolls. Before you try making your own, maybe you should watch a few. Here is one:



I have made these rolls in the past, will probably do so again, but I hate separating eggs. At least once I got that fatal speck of yolk into the white and the whites wouldn't whip up. I baked them anyway. They were not great.

I have read a recipe called 'cloud bread' which mostly just stretches the batter from 6 rolls to 12. I've made these, they are flatter but good. I use one 'roll' for the top of my sandwich and another for the bottom.

Cucumber sandwich

Take 2 pieces of the rolls out of the fridge. Put mayonnaise (homemade is best) on both sides. Salt the bottom piece (these rolls are salt-free, so bland). I put seaweed flakes on the bottom as well--- I love seaweed. Put cucumber slices on the bottom piece. Cover bottom with top, eat and enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Sad Truth 

I have made these rolls from time to time for years. But I'm lazy when it comes to separating eggs. Recently I have been working on no-egg-separating rolls, which I will be sharing on this blog soon. But this recipe is a low-carber's staple, and so I thought it best to share it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.