Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Recipes: Supersalad Seasoning (Salad Supreme) & Blue Cheese Dressing


Recently I wanted to try a new salad dressing recipe— I bought blue cheese and everything— and I found it called for an ingredient called ‘Salad Supreme’ which I hadn’t heard of. Evidently it was a blend of spices and seasonings from Schilling corporation. I did a search on ‘Duck Duck Go’ and found a recipe for the stuff, which I adapted a bit for Supersalad seasoning.
Normally I hate doing a recipe for which you have to make another recipe first, but this one is a good seasoning mix that I’d want in the house anyway, whether or not I was making blue cheese dressing. (I’ve never even tasted blue cheese before I made this dressing. It was good! Not great, like Dana Carpender’s Hoisin Sauce which I used as salad dressing as well as a meat sauce, but good.)

SUPERSALAD SEASONING
1 1/2 tsp (teaspoon) toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp paprika (smoked paprika?)
1/2 tsp poppy seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp black pepper (white pepper?)
1/8 tsp cayenne powder

Put ingredients in a clean 1/2 pint canning jar, close lid and shake to blend. Use to season salads, meat or anything else. You can make a double batch if you like. 



BLUE CHEESE DRESSING
This is adapted from Roquefort Dressing #2 in Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution.

1/2 cup EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (Bragg’s)
1 clove roasted garlic, crushed
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (or Roquefort?)
1 1/2 tsp Supersalad seasoning (see above)
1/4 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 Tbsp (Tablespoon) water

Put ingredients in a wide-mouth canning jar, use a stick blender to blend for 1 minute. Store in refrigerator, use promptly. NOTE: You can replace part of the EVOO with MCT oil to make it more ketogenic. And more expensive, alas. OTHER NOTE: Like all salad dressings, you can use it to flavor your meat as well. Why not top a burger with a 1/2 Tablespoon?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.