Thursday, February 27, 2020

Changing My MCT Routine


For some time I have been taking 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of MCT in a bulletproof coffee every morning. MCT oil is ‘medium chain triglyceride’ oil, and it helps you get into ketosis and stay in ketosis. MCT oil is found in coconut oil, and the MCT oil that you buy is made either from coconut oil alone or coconut and palm kernel oil. 

MCT oil is expensive, and when I run out I substitute regular coconut oil. The kind of coconut oil that stays liquid at room temperature is even higher in MCT oil. 

Recently I realized that the way I do my MCT oil dose could stand improvement. I measure my ketosis with my trusty old Ketonix first thing in the morning when I test my blood sugar and blood pressure. Shortly afterward I have my first bulletproof coffee of the day, the one with the MCT oil in it. Time-wise, the time I take the MCT oil and the time I measure my ketosis are about as far apart as they can get!

Plus, it would be good to be in good ketosis throughout the day. So I decided that from now on I will split my MCT dose into two doses of 1 tablespoon (15 ml) each, one taken in the morning and one in the evening. I took an evening dose last night, and did get into good ketosis this morning (yellow, or moderate, on my Ketonix.)  I add also a tablespoon of another good fat— ghee last night (I like it better than plain butter) and I plan on using regular coconut oil or even extra-virgin olive oil in future bullet-proof beverages. (I can’t stand more than 1/2 a tablespoon of EVOO in a bulletproof coffee, even with 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon in the coffee! Maybe if I add 1/8 t. Turmeric it would kill the taste?)

You do not need to buy MCT oil or drink bulletproof coffee or other bullet-proof beverages to do Keto * Low-Carb! Just follow the rules of the Atkins Induction and you will most likely get into good ketosis, especially if you make a point of including enough fat in your meal plan. 

But if you do use MCT oil, you might split your daily dose into 2 smaller doses, to be consumed morning and evening, to help your ketosis stay more steady.

ABBREVIATIONS
MCT - Medium Chain Triglyceride
BPC - Bulletproof coffee
BPCd - bulletproof decaf coffee
BPB - bulletproof beverage
BPT - bulletproof tea or tisane (herb “tea”)
BPco - bulletproof hot cocoa
BPcar - bulletproof hot carob
EVOO - extra-virgin olive oil
Keto - ketogenic “diet” or eating plan
LCHF - low-carbohydrate, high-fat

LENT UPDATE
My Lenten sacrifice, such as it is, is to give up heavy whipping cream, and substitute full-fat canned coconut milk. My BPC in the morning and my BPCd in the evening were not the taste treats that they are with cream, but they were good enough with a bit of coconut milk. (I suppose I lose any spiritual ‘brownie points’ by telling everyone about my Lenten plans, but as weak-willed as I am I highly doubt my ability to make any spiritual effort that God would notice except out of pure mercy, and I am hoping to encourage other Christians to observe Lent even after they go Keto * Low-Carb.)

Do you use MCT oil? How do you incorporate it into your eating plan? Do you ever use it in a bulletproof beverage (BPB)? If so, what kind of BPB do you make? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.