Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Diabetes Control in the Coronavirus Era

Watching a broadcast of the Laura Ingraham show, I heard some doctors who are actually treating patients with Wuhan coronavirus who said that most patients who had serious cases of the disease had T2 diabetes, prediabetes, or were clinically obese— BMI index above 30. 

I have T2 diabetes myself and at one point was on two different pills for it. But then I had a bad kidney test and one of my kidney doctors said I had to go off both pills. The only diabetes medicine she thought my body could handle was insulin injections. I do believe that she assumed I would be on insulin almost immediately, but handling that would be the job of my health-care-providing nurse. 

Well, I got strict with my Keto * Low-Carb eating plan and have not had to go on insulin. Actually I was surprised that controlling my blood sugars with just low-carb was pretty much the same as controlling it with 2 meds plus low-carb. I began to suspect it was my low-carb that was doing the heavy lifting.

If YOU have T2 diabetes, are prediabetic, or are obese, the Wuhan coronavirus pandemic should be your wake-up call to get these things under control with a low-carb eating plan. I know it can be tough. Especially now that some grocery stores are understocked and some normal low-carb eaters have resorted to emergency measures like rice or ramen noodles. And if you haven’t been on low-carb before this is sure a stressful time to start. Though I guess it’s less stressful than having a severe case of Wuhan coronavirus. Here are the steps towards getting started:

1. DOCTOR CONSULTATION
If you are on meds for diabetes and/or high blood pressure, you will have to cut the dose when you start Keto * Low-Carb because the eating plan has similar effects to the meds. And you need to have a doctor’s OK to cut your prescription meds, for good reasons. Probably you will have to consult a doctor by phone or online. If your doctor is reluctant to OK cutting your meds dose, perhaps you ask, that if your blood sugar/pressure gets below a certain level, you will be authorized to split your pills in half. In the long term, you will probably want to find a doctor or health-care-provider non-doctor that is experienced with low-carb.

2. INDUCTION
Induction is the first and strictest phase of the Atkins Keto * Low-Carb eating plan. Going on Induction or back on Induction can help you control those blood sugars. After you have done two weeks or more on Induction successfully, you can add back a bit of carbs as in the Atkins levels. Read more about doing Induction in books like Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution (1972) or Dr. Atkins New Diet Cookbook (1994.)

3. TRACK YOUR NUMBERS
If you have a blood sugar meter, take your blood sugar once or twice a day and write down the results. If you have high blood pressure, get a blood pressure meter and measure that, too. You don’t need to weigh yourself every day, but twice a week is good. I have an electronic scale which also calculates my BMI and body fat percentage, among other things. That BMI is an important number— it marks the difference between obese and merely overweight. (My BMI has been just under 30 usually, but this Sunday it was 30, so I am technically obese again. Must get stricter in my Keto!) 
It is VERY important to track your state of ketosis. Blood ketones are the best things to measure, but the test strips cost money. Breath ketones are the next best. I have an older Ketonix brand breath ketone analyzer. I test my breath ketones every morning. If it is moderate or high, that’s a good level of ketosis and so I put a big K in my  health records notebook, followed by a number— if it is the first day of being back in good ketosis after a low-or-no ketone day, that number will be a one, followed by a two and so on.
If you cannot get a blood ketone or breath ketone meter, you can fall back on ketosis urine strips. It’s not as good a measure, but better than nothing. You can probably buy either the urine strips or blood or breath ketone meters online right now, if you have internet access in your home.

4. DON’T DO LOW-CARB & LOW-FAT
Eating low-carb is restrictive enough, without a misguided attempt to do low-fat at the same time. Good fats are not only healthy for you, they help you to feel not-hungry. That’s why I can stick to a low-carb eating plan while I couldn’t do low-calorie/low-fat for one full day. 
Read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes (2007) to get an account of how wrong science led to the ‘urban legend’ that eating foods with fat in them would clog your arteries and make you die of heart disease. Valid science does not support this, but supports the LCHF (low-carb, high-fat) eating plan. The book gives loads of references to actual scientific journal articles and so is useful for medical doctors and ‘health-care-providers’ who can look up and read the actual articles and evaluate them.
My very conventional ‘health-care-provider’ ordered me to begin taking fish oil supplements, which shows that even the conventional medical industry is starting to learn that all fat is not bad fat. 

5. DO KETO INTERMITTENT FASTING
Keto Intermittent Fasting is not the same as white-knuckle fasting which I picture as someone curled in a ball, moaning from hunger pangs, just waiting for the moment when he can eat some food again. I tried fasting that way once or twice, and didn’t get through more than a day.
Keto Intermittent Fasting happens once you get into ketosis. You are not hungry, you have more energy than you are used to, and you end up skipping a meal or two because you are too caught up in a project to eat a meal. 
Intentional fasting on Keto is a pleasure because it is easy. And it sure brings down the blood sugars. I used to never eat breakfast on Keto * Low-Carb, but after my health problems last year it’s mostly supper I can do without. 
The down side of fasting is that it can make you experience hunger again when Keto has made you unused to feeling hunger. Also, you tend to feel virtuous because you have fasted for hours or days. This can lead to a carb-binge that can spoil all the gains you have made.

Blood sugar control and ending your obesity are more important now than ever during the Wuhan coronavirus pandemic. The Keto * Low-Carb eating plan is your best ally in overcoming the insulin resistance which leads both to diabetes/prediabetes and to obesity/overweight. Sticking to this plan— in spite of the stress of current events— can be essential for your health and safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.