Saturday, February 16, 2019

Your Daily Bone-Broth Dose


There is such a thing as a bone-broth diet. I have not read any books on this, but home-made bone broth is a healing food. I save ALL my chicken bones in freezer bags until I have about 2 gallon-size bags worth, which is enough to make bone broth in my BIG slow cooker (It’s not a Crock-pot brand slow cooker like my other THREE slow cookers.)

I don’t salt my bone broth while making it, since I’m afraid of oversalting since the broth cooks down over 2 days. So when I make up a cup of hot bone broth, I add 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) of Himalayan pink salt or sea salt. This gives it about the salt content of a serving of commercial bouillon powder. You can certainly add more salt if it seems to need a bit more.

Atkins Lifestyle note: one of the more modern Atkins books recommends a cup of commercial bouillon to combat the ‘keto flu’ during Induction. The salt helps combat the unwell feelings some people experience on Induction. Bone broth with sea salt is a better alternative— both the broth and the sea salt/Himalayan salt have more minerals than just sodium, and it isn’t the chemical-ridden fake-food that commercial bouillon is. 

Making a cup of hot bone broth in the morning is a good start to the day. Even if you are on the No-Breakfast Plan, home-made bone broth is an allowed fasting fluid. I wouldn’t drink ten cups of it in the morning (if you could even MAKE that much bone broth) but one cup during your morning fast is very allowable.

What would be the nutritional information on home-made bone broth anyway? Store-bought canned broth has 1 gram Carbohydrate, 10 calories, 1g protein, and 0.5 g fat. My home-made broth certainly has more fat than that. I can’t remove ALL the fat from bone broth at home, so mine has got more fat and thus more calories in it, but they are all calories from fat and so that doesn’t harm your diet or break your fast.

You can make bone broth into a fancier dish. Making it ‘bulletproof’ by adding more fat (butter, MCT oil, coconut oil or even chicken, beef or pork fat) and a bit of Heavy Whipping Cream makes it into a lovely soup. Switch out the Heavy Whipping Cream for an amount of sour cream (not ‘low-fat’ sour cream!) will make it into an easy taste treat. Better than any canned soup, and you can make it in the microwave if you like. (I heat my bone broth on about 2 min on high when I resort to the microwave.)

You can also use bone broth as the broth in a soup recipe. A very simple one is egg-drop soup. Heat 1 cup of bone broth per serving. Use 1 or 1/2 egg for each serving. Mix the egg with whisk, fork or hand blender. Drop by small amounts into simmering soup. You may also add a hint of ginger root and a dash of soy sauce. This makes a very nice substitute for higher-carb chicken noodle soup, and it’s nearly as easy to make as heating up a helping of canned soup.

From this blog:
Recipe: Stewing Hen Meat and Bone Broth in one Crock-Pot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.