Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Do the veggies in your keto diet put you at risk for oxalate poisoning?

Recently I listened to an episode of Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low-Carb podcast which featured nutritionist Sally K. Norton, who warned listeners of the dangers of foods high in oxalates. These foods include many popular on the keto diet: spinach, almonds, peanuts, chocolate, swiss chard, tumeric, and cinnamon.

She tells of one case where some young children got kidney stones from the consumption of almond milk. The fact that oxalates can be toxic has been known since the 1930s.

Oxalate poisoning can cause many symptoms, and most medical doctors don't think that it may be at the root of the problem. Sally Norton gives on her web site a list of the symptoms that might be associated with an excess of oxalates: https://sallyknorton.com/symptoms/

Rhubarb leaves are high in oxalates--- so much so that many of us have heard that rhubarb leaves are poison. And they can in fact cause death from kidney failure.

Some low-oxalate greens you may use to replace spinach in your diet: arugula (what's arugula?), lettuce, bok choi, cabbage and watercress. And meats raised properly (grass-fed? raised without hormones?) are a healing food.

I am personally reducing my consumption of tea and chocolate, and eliminating almond and peanut products and spinach from my diet. Since I have kidney problems related to my diabetes, I think that's wise.

The podcast I talked about can be found on this web page: http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/17322/1412-sally-norton-sounds-the-alarm-on-the-oxalate-toxicity-of-eating-plants/     I listened to the podcast 3 times so far, it was that informative and inspiring.

Sally K. Norton's web site is full of information: https://sallyknorton.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.