Tuesday, December 5, 2017

First Keto, then Fasting

I've been listening to old episodes of the Fasting Talk podcast every day and this morning I listened to episode 10. Jimmy Moore was telling how he had been traveling for a while and how he couldn't fast while traveling because of the stress.

Now that he was home, Jimmy said he was going to get in a full week on the ketogenic diet before getting back on his usual fasting routine.

That's a good notion. Being on a good ketogenic diet switches your body over from burning carbs to burning fat. It kills your hunger. When you have been doing keto for a while you find yourself skipping meals by accident because you are just not hungry. It's the ideal prep for fasting.

A lot of the people who have discovered Fasting and Intermittent Fasting were on a ketogenic or low-carb diet first. Adding fasting just came naturally.

I currently am in a bad state due to having eaten carbs on several occasions, including at a meal at my brother's house where the food choices consisted of spaghetti and garlic bread. I have found that if I go off my keto--- even 'just for one meal' I end up eating carbs for days or weeks. The food cravings wake up and I am not a person will anything in the way of willpower.

So I'm back on my keto diet, without the morning fasting, until I get on track. What fasting does, when I haven't been on keto, is awaken my hunger and cravings so that when my eating period starts I can't really resist the temptation to run to the grocery for chips or other carb foods.

Today I had some of my low-carb cheese pancakes, recipe found in the 1974 Dr. Atkins Diet Cookbook (Gare, Monica) with the delicious low-carb 'maple' syrup from this recipe: https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/sugar-free-maple-syrup/

 I've got some chicken parts so I can make my favorite baked chicken for lunch, and some chicken to freeze so I have the making for keto meals in the house. The secret to being a successful ketonian? Plan for meals ahead of time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While Jimmy Moore's excellent Fasting Talk podcast is no longer in current production, back episodes are still available here: http://www.fastingtalk.com/ There are also links there to the current podcasts, Livin' La Vida Low-Carb and Keto Talk.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this article is good, my sister is analyzing these kinds
    of things, thus I am going to tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your style is unique compared to other people I have read stuff from.

    Many thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to see if it
    can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is
    now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is totally off topic but I had to share
    it with someone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this piece of writing completely regarding the
    resemblance of most recent and preceding technologies, it's amazing article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the blog post. Jones and I have been saving to get a
    new book on this subject and your post has made all of us to save our money.
    Your ideas really responded to all our questions.
    In fact, greater than what we had acknowledged just before we discovered
    your superb blog. My spouse and i no longer have doubts as well as a
    troubled mind because you have attended to each of our needs in this post.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading this, very good stuff, thank
    you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.