Friday, September 29, 2017

Dr. Atkins Diet Cook Book, 1974

One of my favorite Atkins cookbooks is this, the first one. It was written in 1974 by Fran Gare and Helen Monica. The reason I like it so much is that unlike later Atkins books, it doesn't call for Atkins brand ingredients that are no longer available and were never available where I live. It has to use real food!

It contains several recipes I use a lot. There is the cheese pancakes on page 81. I have a notecard at that page where I cut the recipe down from 6 servings to a single serving. I've tried a lot of low-carb pancakes but this is pretty good.

Another recipe I use is the baked fish loaf on page 140. Again I've cut down the recipe from 6 servings to single serving. My version uses a can of tuna (packed in olive oil, from WalMart) as the fish. It's kind of a replacement for my mom's carby tuna casserole. Sometimes I add a few canned mushroom pieces and a spoonful of frozen peas to the mix to make it more Just Like Mom's.

It also has, on page 238, a hot chocolate recipe that I based my own, much better hot chocolate recipe on.

There are other recipes I haven't yet tried or tried only once. Such as: Mock Potato Dumplings, Devilled Salmon Eggs, Beef Stroganoff, Moussaka, Pasta, Mock Macaroni and Cheese, Brownies, Peanut Butter cookies, several flavors of ice cream.....

The low-carb world has changed a lot since this book came out. But there are a lot of things to try in here. You may have to adapt to get rid of ingredients we no longer think are healthy, such as soya powder. But there is a world of things to try in this book. It's also kind of a must-have for a really COMPLETE low-carb cookbook collection.

How do you get a copy since it is so long out of print? Well, I got mine poking around in used bookstores and thrift shops, but that was a few decades ago. Today I'd look at Amazon.com and Ebay for a copy at a good price. I've seen one at over $100 dollars. Don't pay that! I've ALSO seen copies at around $3. Keep checking the used book sources---NOT the rare book ones, they will be overpriced.

1 comment:

  1. Howdy! This post could nnot be written much better! Looking at this post reminds mee
    of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching about this.

    I will send this article to him. Fairly certain he's going to have a very good read.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, but are always welcome. Comments with swearing, spam comments, off-topic comments and comments which are just flattery of me, not being of general interest, are read by me but not posted to the blog.